The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart.-- Helen Keller



Welcome!

Welcome! to my little corner of Gods earth.

My intent is to share faith, food, family & friendship. I want to give you a little insight as to what goes on in our daily lives. The different 'seasons' in our farm life and with every change of season brings something new. Feel free to visit often!

Blessings to all,

Laura

Down on the Farm Tabs

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mink in the chicken coop

Well, it has been a long 4 days at the Mosier Farm. We have lost a total of 5 hens.  This makes me so sad. The Buff Orphingtons are a very docile breed, they often become a pet.
Walking into the chicken coop the first time and seeing 2 of my hens dead, was disturbing. Papa Bear and I did some sealing up and repair work on the coop. We believed we had everything buttoned up and the hens should be safe. I still dreaded opening the coop door Sunday morning, but all was well, everyone was safe and sound. We felt pretty good about what we had done the day before.  Not so much on Monday morning. Opening the door and finding 3 more hens lay dead. That was IT for both of us, something needed to be done and it had to be handled right now. I found a business in Eureka that makes all sorts of mini barns and sheds, Countryside Barns. When I called them, I found out that they already had a chicken coop made up. It will hold 20~25 chickens AND we would get a discount if we took the display model AND free delivery! Can you say SOLD!!! Delivery on our new coop is this morning at 10:00AM. I am so excited and will post pics soon!
After we knew that a replacement coop was on its way, we decided to do some damage to the old coop and see if we could find out what was slaughtering our hens. After tipping up the old coop, a mink ran out from underneath and of course Papa Bear took aim and pulled the trigger. I can rest easy now, knowing that they are safe and sound in a new coop and the predator creating all this damage is now gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment