The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart.-- Helen Keller



Welcome!

Welcome! to my little corner of Gods earth.

My intent is to share faith, food, family & friendship. I want to give you a little insight as to what goes on in our daily lives. The different 'seasons' in our farm life and with every change of season brings something new. Feel free to visit often!

Blessings to all,

Laura

Down on the Farm Tabs

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Basic Knit Slipper Pattern


This pattern is similar to the slippers also posted on Peppermint Mocha Mama’s website, I also have posted a Rounded Heel Slipper pattern that works up very similar to this one.
As a young girl, my mother, aunts, cousins and I received crocheted slippers every year for Christmas from my Grandmother & Great Aunt. It is a nice memory for me and even though I do not have any of the slippers any more, my mother is now wearing a pair that she found. It was like finding a treasure. I have knitted many pairs of slippers in many different patterns. This pattern is easily adjustable to the size of the recipient and works up quickly.
Materials:
2 skeins of worsted weight yarn
Size 7US straight knitting needles
Darning needle

Instructions:
You will be knitting with 2 strands of yarn held together throughout the pattern.
Cast on 33 stitches (Leave a long tail to sew up heel of slipper)
**Always slip the first stitch in every row as if to purl, this makes a nice edge.

Heel and Ankle
Row 1: Sl1, Knit across
Row 2: Sl1, K10, PM, P1, K9, PM, P1, K11
**By (PM) placing the marker before the purl 1 you will be reminded that you need to purl and it is a good way to check yourself, The purl ridge will be on the outside of your slipper

Row 3: Sl1, Knit across
Row 4: Sl1, K10, P1, K9, P1, K11

Repeat Row 3 and 4 – 13 times this will give you a total of 30 rows (15 ridges)

Row 31: Sl1, Knit across


Body of Slipper
(at this point if you wish to avoid seaming you may knit in the round)
Row 32: Sl1, *P1, K1* Knit the last stitch
Row 33: Sl1, Knit across
Repeat Row 32 & 33 until you reach the length you want. (stop knitting at the base of your big toe) I wear a ladies size 9 and I knit 26 rows.



Toe of Slipper
Row 1: Sl1, *P2tog, P1*
Row 2: Sl1, *K2tog, K1*
Row 3: P2tog across to the end


Leave a long tail and cut yarn. Using a darning needle, run the yarn back thru, picking the yarn off the needle. Pull tight, this will form a circle at the end of the toe. Turn the slipper inside out and proceed to sew up the top of the slipper, stop at the change in pattern and tie off.


Fold the slipper in half and with the long tail from the cast on, sew up the heel.
Turn the slipper right side out. Make a pom, pom and attach.  You may also add Dimensional paint to the bottom of the slipper to enhance traction.




Enjoy!

If you find any mistakes or have any suggestions in this pattern please let me know.
Enhanced by Zemanta

16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you enjoy my slipper pattern! I hope that the ones you stitch create lovely memories for those who receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I've made several pairs for my grandchildren. I traced around their foot and adjusted the pattern from there. I started and ripped out several times before I got it right. The youngest one that I've made these for was 4. Good Luck!!

      Delete
  3. So no stitch count for a two year old then

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I would love to make these :) but can you tell me what the worsted weight is in UK terms please...do you use 8 ply doubled or 12 ply doubled ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maree, I did a search and it appears that the UK equivalent to worsted weight is 8 ply. Good Luck!!!

      Delete
  5. To avoid a "square" heel, I would start with less stitches and then increase gradually to make it rounded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructions for a Rounded Heel Slipper are also on my blog. http://mosierfarms.blogspot.com/2011/01/rounded-heel-knitted-slipper-pattern.html

      Thanks!!

      Delete
  6. Love the pattern and I am using it for my first pair of house shoes..... But I need help..... Repeat Row 3 and 4 – 26 times this will give you a total of 30 rows (15 ridges)...... could you please clarify this portion? If i repeat rows 3 and 4 26 times that would leave me with 56 rows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, Sorry about the confusion. You want to repeat row 3 & 4 until you reach a total of 30 rows. What the instructions should say is 'Repeat row 3 & 4 - 13 times (until you reach a total of 30 rows (15 ridges))

      Delete
    2. thank you very much and also thank you for such a quick reply :D <3

      Delete
  7. Amei e irei fz bjs bjs que Deus te ilumine sempre e q possa nos ensinar aqui no Brasil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amei e irei fz bjs bjs que Deus te ilumine sempre e q possa nos ensinar aqui no Brasil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amei e irei fz bjs bjs que Deus te ilumine sempre e q possa nos ensinar aqui no Brasil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i wish you had that in crochet , i don't knit

    ReplyDelete