The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart.-- Helen Keller



Welcome!

Welcome! to my little corner of Gods earth.

My intent is to share faith, food, family & friendship. I want to give you a little insight as to what goes on in our daily lives. The different 'seasons' in our farm life and with every change of season brings something new. Feel free to visit often!

Blessings to all,

Laura

Down on the Farm Tabs

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Baby Chicks

I am so spoiled, my entire life has been spent on the farm.  I first was a farmers daughter, granddaughter and have been a farmwife for 30+ years.  Because of this lifestyle I have grown accustomed to several things, one includes homegrown farm fresh food.  In particular, I have a hard time eating any meat we purchase from the grocery store......well.....I won't buy beef, pork, or chicken at the grocery store, period.  If we don't have a supply of 'home-grown' we will purchase our meat from the local locker plant.   We just received our shipment of baby chicks, 11 Buff Orphingtons which will continue to lay eggs, even in the winter and 41 Rhode Island Reds, that we will butcher at the end of the summer.  There is nothing better than farm fresh eggs!   McMurray Hatchery also included with our order a 'special' chick.  I believe it is a Partridge Cochins.  For now we have them all settled in with a heat lamp, food, and water.  They have settled down over the past couple of days and so far we haven't lost any chicks. Praise the Lord!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment